Sue and Chris talk about a Bucket lists.
Before listening, do you know what bucket lists are?
1. Does Sue want to swim with dolphins?
2. Where does Chris want to go for his bucket list?
3. Where does Sue say she thinks the Northern Lights are?
Listen to the podcast and try the following :
- First relax, sit down, close your eyes then listen to the podcast all the way through.
- Note down some ideas of what you expect the Podcast will be about. If needed have a look on the Internet for the keyword, ‘Bucket Lists’ to prepare yourself for the listening. Here is a link HERE and HERE to start you off.
- Listen to JUST Sue, ignoring Chris and try to work out globally what her questions and comments are. (you won’t understand everything, so there is no point trying at this point.)
- Listen to just Chris as above.
- Now go back and listen to Sue – take a sheet of paper, draw a line down the middle, on the left of the paper, write any ideas that you have of what Sue was talking about.
- Now do the same for Chris.
- Now listen to the podcast all the way through THEN write down any more ideas that you have about the podcast.
- Leave the podcast for a day or two, then come back and listen.
- Do you understand any more than from the first session of listening you did?
- How do you rate the difficulty level for you? (Too difficult at the moment / A challenge / I understand enough).
- When will you return to this podcast to check your listening progress?
- You won’t understand everything you hear.
- There is a lot of regular work to do to tune your ear into Real English – you need to work on listening regularly.
- NEVER write notes at the same time that you are listening.
- ALWAYS – try to set yourself realistic objectives.
- REMEMBER – this is just a part of your learning and you need to be able to connect this work with your other work.
- This is REAL English – we don’t believe that slow, over-articulated speech prepares learners for the real world – you may be able to understand an audio extract that is spoken slowly, but what good is that if you don’t understand real people in real situations.
- At english-podcasts.com we want to help you to be ready for the real world – it will be difficult at first, but later you will feel the benefit – it is just pure, common sense.